Sunday, May 10, 2009

WEKI Watch

When birding on the Springfield Plateau, it is not uncommon to see dozens of Eastern Kingbirds and Scissor-tailed Flycatcher during a spring or summer day of birding. But when the western version of the Kingbird shows up, it's an exciting day. Not that it's unheard of to have a pair fledge young around here, but it certainly is not an everyday, or even every year, avian observation. Last report was in 2004, but I've only seen one Western Kingbird in Missouri, that in the mid 90's.

As a result, I interrupt my Big Day Part 2 report to share a few poor, but identifiable photos that I took in the rain today. Soon, I'll get my friend Marvin out there to join me, and then I can share some real photos of Western Kingbirds. In the mean time, this will have to do. I just wanted to share the moment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting these photos of the Western Kingbird. Even though you stated they weren't very good, they have helped me identify birds I have seen the last two summers in my yard. After seeing your photos, I am sure they are Western Kingbirds. Thank you!