Sunday, March 2, 2008

A Bit of Breezy Birding after Sunday Shopping

Temperatures in the high sixties tempted us to head south to the Branson area this afternoon to do a little Eddie Bauer outlet shopping and a bit of breezy birding. I picked up a couple pairs of nice wool socks for next winter's outings, and we headed for the waters.

White caps rolled in like gangbusters, and the lake was vacant of most waterfowl. All I spotted were three Pied-billed Grebes on the north end of the lake, as strong south winds no doubt sent waterfowl northward. Remaining waterfowl probably found refuge in the far south coves of the large Table Rock Reservoir or in surrounding small ponds. After a short nearly birdless swing around Table Rock State Park and Marina, we headed over to the College of the Ozarks campus.My wife Martha poses for a picture in front of the pond at College of the Ozarks.

It was there that we got some great views of breeding plumage Buffleheads and a few Lesser Scaup. A lone Mute Swan begged for food, aggressively extending its long neck through the iron gate surrounding the campus pond.Mute Swan is looking for food whereever it can be found. There's nothing edible on my shoe.

You have to love the breeding plumage of a Bufflehead. What a handsome duck!

A pair of handsome drakes!

Joined by Lesser Scaup drakes.A head on look at Lesser Scaup.

1 comment:

marvin d said...

Nice photographs. A couple of weeks ago I was sorely tempted to go down to C of O to get some Bufflehead pictures, but I didn't. When I had my office right next to the lake there, I used to enjoy the annual visit of the Buffleheads to Lake Honor.
I doubt if many ducks were migrating today.