Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Marvin DeJong Photos: Waterfowl in Alaska

After receiving so much positive response for Marvin's eagle photographs, I decided that I couldn't wait to showcase a few more of his wonderful images. There are many species in his waterfowl collection that I so far only dream of seeing. I know many of you will have no problem identifying them, but it was been a great exercise in bird identification for me. Marvin periodically sent me his "mystery bird" photos via e-mail during his time in Alaska last winter and spring.
So, enjoy. I won't spoil your fun in identifying the birds. Of course, I know that most are way too easy, but I'm still curious about the corms and gull in #7. I'll number them if you'd like to comment:

1.

2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7. How many species? ID the gull......
8. Again, what are the gulls?
9.
10.

11.
12.

Come back soon for Marvin's shorebirds........ in breeding plumage.

All photos copyright by Marvin DeJong.

1 comment:

Nate said...

#7 has DC Corms (the big ones) and Pelagic Corms (the small ones) Note the small bill, black face, and white hip patch in several of them.

The gull looks like a adult Glaucous-winged to me. It's got a pale mantle, pink legs, and especially the gray wingtips. Glaucous has white wing-tips, Herring would have black.